Friday 20 July 2012

the perks of being a wallflower

The Wallflower, as its name tells you, likes to grow on walls. In early spring you will see it on the top of old walls or high up on the broken roof of a ruined castle. How did it get there? The wind or the birds must have carried the seed. 
The flowers are a rich golden yellow, and they have a delightful scent. Each flower has four beautiful petals, which are broad above with a long strap forming the lower part. 
In the centre where these four petals meet, you can just see the tips of the stamens peeping out: but the seed-vessel is hidden from sight.
The four sepals are a dark purple colour, and they form a cup in which the lower or strap-shaped part of the petal is held.
Those flowers which are nearest the foot of the stem open first. You will often find eight or ten yellow flowers blooming at the same time and a bunch of dark purple buds at the end of the stem. 
The stem of the Wallflower is tough and woody near the ground, but further up it is green and smooth.
The leaves are narrow pointed straps with smooth edges. They are dark green, but sometimes they have a touch of purple at the tips. 

- FLOWERS SHOWN TO THE CHILDREN by JANET HARVEY KELMAN described by C. E. SMITH


I found this book in my sister's sunny room today and was a little troubled as to how I had never noticed it there before. One of the first flowers described is the Wallflower.
I often think of myself as a Wallflower. I tend to keep to the walls and observe. I know things but do not say much. I am shy and delicate and am carried higher by those around me. Wallflowers are small I know and sometimes go unnoticed but I am okay with that.




No comments:

Post a Comment